Fardowners Restaurant takes its name from a group of Irish immigrants who labored for the Blue Ridge Railway Co. and helped construct four tunnels through the Blue Ridge Mountains during the decade before the Civil War. Claudius Crozet's remarkable feat of engineering took eight years and linked the eastern part of Virginia with the west. Opened to rail traffic in April of 1858, it was considered to be one of the engineering wonders of the modern world. The railway ultimately put the village of Crozet on the map. The old C&O railroad depot can be seen outside the restaurant windows across The Square on the other side of the tracks.